When was the last time you changed your bed sheets?
Hang on—we’re not talking about just putting on a fresh pair when the last set goes in the wash. We’re talking about a more substantial change, a change that could seriously impact the sleep quality of you and your loved ones: we’re talking about bed sheets fabric.
When it comes to the bedding material you’re probably used to most conversation centering around high thread count sheets. If you’re going with cotton bed sheets, this is certainly a valid point to consider, but the thing is: there are a whole lot of other options out there.
In recent years, technological innovations have led to an explosion in the bed sheet choices available to consumers. From twists on traditional fabrics to totally new ones to a seemingly endless array of treatments you can use to customize a fabric entirely to your liking, the question of material is anything but immaterial.
Bed Sheet Materials
Also called “commodity yarns,” this category of material contains named that are most likely to be familiar to you. They’ve been around for a while, but continue to be improved by new advances.
- Polyester: An environmentally-friendly alternative, which has a smooth, satin sheet feel. Reverie uses enhanced performance polyester in our products.
- Cotton: A soft, fluffy fiber that provides breathable comfort. Reverie uses organic cotton in our products.
- Viscose: More commonly known called rayon, this man-made fiber closely simulates natural fabrics, providing a cool, smooth feel.
Staple fiber yarn, also known as spun yarn, is any yarn made up of short-length fibers, called staples. They come in a wide variety of forms.
- Tencel: A natural raw material that is 100% biodegradable, while also providing excellent moisture-wicking properties. Reverie uses Tencel fabric in our products.
- Kapok: Silky, natural fibers that are moisture-resistant and temperature regulating. Frequently used as a filling for comforters and pillows.
- Silk: Stronger than steel, silk creates a delicate and luxurious texture while also helping to regulate body temperature.
- Cashmere: A natural fiber with excellent natural softness, cashmere is very effective at keeping you toasty.
Filament yarn describes yarns in which single filaments are grouped together and then twisted until they become workable. Many modern fabrics are made from filament yarns.
- Tactel Fabric: An incredibly soft fiber known for its excellent moisture management and breathability.
- CoolPlus: A powerful tool against humidity, CoolPlus keeps the skin dry and cool. Reverie offers CoolPlus on a number of our pillows and bed linens.
- Emana: This intelligent yarn improves blood circulation when in contact with the skin for more than six hours—and has even been shown to reduce cellulite and increase skin elasticity.
- Rev-Cool: A permanent phase changing cooling fabric that provides heat transfer properties very close to metal, while remaining soft and flexible. It can cool you down instantly at the touch for a better night’s sleep. Also featured on many Reverie products.
If no material has everything you’re looking for, have no fear. With a plethora of treatments available, you can customize your sleeping experience to no end. Here’s a sampling if what’s out there:
- Aegis: Offers protection against dust mites and bacteria using a non-migrating permanent nano-coating on the fiber, specially designed to deactivate microorganisms. Stays fixed on the fabric.
- Ultrafresh Silpure: An antibacterial treatment based on natural silver. Protects against harmful and odor-causing bacteria. Can fight bacteria and contamination and maintain freshness. Naturally anti-static and highly durable.
- Ecoshield: Using a 100% natural active ingredient, eucalyptus citriodora oil, Ecoshield protects fabrics from insects. Provides protection against insects (bed bugs, dust mites, mosquitoes, moths,) while remaining harmless to human beings. Resistant to multiple washings.
- Rev-Tek: A nanotechnology that keeps you dry and comfortable, offering coolness, breathability, durability, and moisture-wicking properties. Naturally soft, Rev-Tek maximizes performance over time. Available on Reverie products.
Still want more? Bed linens can now come with a whole host of add-ons, including:
- Fire retardant treatments
- Water and stain repellents
What’s more, this overview just barely scratches the surface on the amazing new bedding materials available. We’re thrilled to offer many of these treatments and fabrics to our consumers, and are excited at the prospect of adding new options as technology advances.